Saturday, July 19, 2008

Narrative: no
Random thoughts: okay

-Mamma Mia The Movie: very disappointing
I've seen the stage version three times--twice here, once in NYC. I love the stage version. Yes, it's contrived, and silly at how the songs that fit seamlessly with the story. But it works. The movie--not so much. Especially the "encore" at the end. That was the worst of all. The stage version encore was the highlight of the show. This was definitely the low-low-low-light. We got to the movie theater about 10 mins before the show and B was a little anxious that we would have a hard time finding a good seat since it was so close to movie time. When we walked in and saw less than 10 people in the theater, I knew we were in trouble. It didn't help that we had splurged for dinner at a supposedly high rated bbq place near the theater and had a really disappointing dinner already. We SPLIT a dinner, and it still ended up costing us $18 each. It's already hard enough to get B to spend $$ on a sit-down-get your-order-taken-by-a-person place, now we'll be eating at Wendy's forever.

-Brain Surgery
A friend of mine had brain surgery on Wednesday. She had a tumor on her frontal lobe, surgery on Wed, and came home less than 48 hours after the surgery. What?!?!? There's an organization that allows families to create websites for family members that are going through things like this so they can post updates and not have to repeat the stories twenty times a day. This has been so helpful in being able to get email notifications of updates. Today was picture day. Her husband posted a photo of her in the hospital so people could see the surgery incision--yikes!!!!!!!! It's a line that goes pretty much ear to ear at the front of her head, about an inch back from her hairline. And she still had all her hair. Again...what?!?!? I guess brain surgery has made big improvements over the years. Who knew?

-Books That Annoy me
Today I finished The Virgin's Lover-- which is the second book I've read by this author. Loved the book, couldn't wait to read it everyday, until the last two pages. I really, really hate it when an author wraps up an ending so neatly and exactly how you expect. What I mean by that is there's no feeling of wanting more, of wondering why, of what happened me. This one really annoyed me. That being said, Jenniy--do you want it? :-)

-Air conditioning, or lack thereof
Tonight we went to see a performance of about ten short little plays all using the theme of Wayne Newton. Yeah, I know, but I knew one of the playwrights, so I wanted to support him. We've been to this little dinky theater a few times before, it's got a lot of character but man, it was hot. And not in a good way. No air conditioning, all the windows covered with black cloth (necessary for preventing light from coming in but yikes), doors closed once the performance started. I thought I was going to DIE by the time it was over--and thankfully it was only about 70 minutes.

Hmmm. Narrative. Okay then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mama Mia - blech, as mom woulkd say "not my bag".

These days I am not spending time anywhere without air conditioning at all. Period.

Dont you have an entertainment book for good dinner coupons?

Anonymous said...

I was coerced into seeing Mamma Mia (the play), which ended up being great... as for the movie version, sounds fun, though it's awkward to think of ol' Pierce trying to sing, yeeesh