Friday, April 17, 2009

After wanting to rip my tax return to shreds, I decided to file for an extension (at the suggestion of someone far smarter than I) and will deal with it next week sometime. I know people who prepare tax returns probably want nothing to do with them after April 15, but I also know there must be someone out there that still works on them.

Saw the preview of "Evita" tonight. I couldn't remember who had done the music, but guessed (based on the music) it was Andrew Lloyd Weber. There were so many musical phrases (not words--the music only) that were so reminiscent of Jesus Christ Superstar. Since it was a preview there will still be some changes to the costumes and maybe the set--and the cast will get a lot stronger after performing for a week or so. This is not one of my favorite musicals by any means, but at least its not dreadful.

The not-so-new cat doesn't wake me at 3:30 a.m. anymore. It was really getting old--especially when I knew I was going to be subbing and having to get up early that morning. One morning I just decided to ignore her protesting pouncing all over me and her walking all over the dresser and everything else in the bedroom. I didn't say anything to her, didn't even acknowledge that she was doing anything. It seems to have worked-- now she waits until around 7:00 or later. I can do 7 a.m. easily. 3;30 a.m.--not so much.

I subbed in the same first grade classroom two days in the last week. It was very fun-- and since I am just the sub I don't have any of the crap that happens out of the classroom hanging over me all day. It is actually kind of like teaching used to be years and years ago-- no online literacy posting each month, no weekly progress monitoring, no meeting after meeting after school--just pure and simple teaching. Very enjoyable.

After not feeling very good for quite awhile, and going into a downward spiral of failing health, my nieces took their mom (my sister) to the emergency room on Tuesday. She was released this afternoon--and hopefully will feel much better in the coming weeks. She had a severe kidney infection which was [this] close to becoming a case of sepsis (blood poisoning). Looks like this may also result in her stopping smoking--yay. Sometimes good things come packaged in ugly wrapping.

3 comments:

danelle said...

I feel so much better today, actually last night I was hurting so much I thought maybe I had gone home to early but today I feel renewed.

Still not smoking.

Anonymous said...

Blogeois said...

"since I am just the sub I don't have any of the crap that happens out of the classroom hanging over me all day. It is actually kind of like teaching used to be years and years ago"How wonderful to get this feeling again!

Laurie said...

Oy! Glad your nieces pulled an intervention. Scary! And WHEN are you going to tell me more about that book?