Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I'm baking a little one-layer cake for my paraprofessional's birthday tomorrow. I had planned on making one for her for days now, and just remembered. The mix actually makes 2 small 6-inch layers and six cupcakes, so I'm set for RG's birthday next week. I should probably have a couple of them in the freezer all the time so I don't have to bake cakes the night before anything. I could see how if you did this professionally, or all the time, you could easily get over wanting to eat them. It gets a little much after awhile, sweetness-wise.

Sixth graders were great today-- as were my other classes. I think M2 (that's "M squared"-- our principal's initials are MM) is stopping for my kindergarten class on Friday. It's always interesting when the kinders are there.

In the last month or so I've run into so many kids or families of kids that I used to teach when I was at my other school-- tonight I ran into a parent of a kid I taught 20 years ago. A few weeks ago I was at the *$$ at B&N up by me and when I was paying, the barista said "Ms. B*****?" He was so thrilled to see me-- and came around and gave me a big hug. It has been so great reconnecting with them-- and it's really made me miss my other school and the people I taught with. I love the school I'm at now, but I really miss the people I used to teach with. They were some of my closest friends, and we knew all about each other's families, and we did things together outside of school. I do miss a few things about being a classroom teacher, and the one thing I miss the most is being part of a teaching team. The library is a solitary job unto itself-- and it doesn't matter how much effort a person puts into joining other people for lunch, or sit by them at meetings, or whatever, it's just not the same as being a teammate with someone.

I also miss that special bond you have with kids when you are their classroom teacher. It's just different when you're the special other teacher they see every now and then. For many of my classroom years I was very close to many of the kids' parents. I went to their homes for dinner, went to soccer games, dance recitals, birthday parties, graduations and now weddings. I miss that, too.

One thing I do have is some really wonderful memories of lots of great kids that are now adults--some are actually in their mid-thirties now. I'm so glad I took so many photos over those years and have scrapbooks of all of them.

I am so looking forward to this weekend. The extra day off will be really nice. It does make my schedule really jammed next week because since we don't have school on Monday I needed to get those 4 classes in at some other time on other days, but it shouldn't be too bad.

*Ding!* Cakes are done!

No comments: