Sunday, September 03, 2006

Weird thing of the day: I was googling my school name and found a LOT of schools across the country with the same name and one that even has the same colors and same mascot. Our school name isn't exactly that common, like Smith or something, so I was surprised to see so many.

Do you ever google the names of people you know? Your friends? Spouse? I do all the time--it's weird when they show up!

I was at the post office today mailing a package at the self-service kiosk when an older man came in. He asked if I thought they would have mail pickup today or tomorrow (in those slots you push your letters inside at the post office). I said I doubted it--since today was Sunday and tomorrow was a federal holiday. He said, "That's a disappointment. This birthday card will be late". I'm thinking, "Ummmm......hello? You could have mailed it yesterday or the day before..."

Friday afternoon I stayed a little later than I usually do--and one of the third grade teachers walked through on her way back to her room. She asked what I was doing over the long weekend, and then I asked her the same. In that few minutes I learned her daughter is leaving Tues to go to school in Scotland, will be gone two years, and other details of the event. I told her I had no idea she had all that going on, and she said "Really?" I am so out of the loop! People think I know all the details of things around the building, and while I do seem to know quite a few, I was completely surprised by this one. I think I actually know a lot of the details of things happening around the school, but not the personal business of others. Today I realized I don't even know what cars people at my school drive--except for M2, since his has a Wyoming University license plate holder or something to identify it, and ET's-- since it's plastered with "liberal" stickers. At my other school I knew everyone's cars. I could probably identify a few at my school based on where people park, since we all tend to park in exactly the same places every day. Again, so out of the loop.

This week will be a craaazzzzzy one.
a) I have a meeting every day after school, and one in the morning one of the days.
b) I have extra classes every day because of no school Monday.
c) I have outside duty am and pm on Tues--and the pm one is one I've never done. Now, I usually don't read the weekly bulletin to see where my outside duty is because it never changes. Never. This week it changed. I'm supposed to be up on some road a little ways from the school-- and I have no idea where I need to actually stand or what I'm supposed to watch out for.
d) I'm gone all day Friday for a web development training, but it's school picture day so I need to stop by school first. I can't not have my picture taken! I don't think that's ever happened in my 31 years of teaching.

I just realized--I need to pull a book I have about school picture day to read out loud this week.

Tonight I found an event I really, really want to go to in Chicago in November, or NYC in March. I'm guessing my traveling partner won't have enough leave, or won't want to spend the money, but we'll see. I found a great airfare to Chicago--and it's right after my book fair so it would be a nice way to wind down. Unfortunately it's Thanksgiving week, so I'd have my familiy's ire (mostly my niece's, I think) to contend with. That, and ending a sentence with a preposition.

No comments: