Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Happy First Day of School

Today was the first day of school. I'm glad it's over!

This year my school did something very different-- and it turned out so neat. Last spring my principal's wife told me what her school did on the last day of school--all the kids walk out the front door with their class, and all the parents and teachers clap and blow bubbles for them. I loved that idea, and told my principal we need to start the school year off with something like that. It took a little bit of planning and some buy-in from teachers (which was no problem at all) and we had a great start to the day.

All the classes lined up on the lawn in the front of the school, the P made a little motivational speech, we raised the flag and said the pledge and then starting with kindergartners, they all followed their new teachers in the front door one class at a time--to the song "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang. I cranked the music and it was so fun. The idea was that all the parents and teachers watching would clap and holler for them, but in reality, the parents were a bunch of old stick-in-the-muds. No clapping, they all just stood around and watched and as soon as their kid went in most of them left. I loved it, though. We'll do the same thing at the end of the year but with bubbles!

No comments: