Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My eyes feel like they want to just close and not open for hours. It was a rough start to the morning--I missed a meeting because of all the stupid people who can't drive in the snow (move to Arizona, would ya?), I made it in time for the last 7 minutes of morning duty outside, and then it was hit the ground running the rest of the day. Busy, busy, busy. I stayed at school and worked until after 6:00 tonight. For a long time now I've been leaving at the earliest possible time I can get away with, taking into account meetings, etc. It's beginning to catch up with me--I'm so behind on so many things. Nothing major, just a general sense of "where's that thing I need?" and "which class is coming in and what are they here for?". I'm pretty good at not looking like I'm unorganized, but it's starting to take a toll on my confidence level at work. Thus--the late work night. The bad part? The heat goes off about 3:00 and it's damn freezing in the building. I have a small space heater but as usual, it tripped a circuit and off went everything I have plugged in at the desk.

Speaking of tripping a circuit... last week we started moving the laptop carts into the library storage room and locking them up overnight. When I plugged one cart in on Friday it sparked a bit. When I opened my fridge on Monday afternoon it was warm and all the freezer ice buildup had melted all over the carpet in my office. I couldn't do anything about it because I was running out the door for an appointment, so I left the door of the fridge open a bit and left. Today I unloaded everything (mostly lunchbags with tupperware and stuff in them), we popped the circuit breaker back in place and all was well. So tonight I leave the laptop cart in the computer lab, and go to plug it in and zap! I got a shock that lasted in my fingers for at least an hour. Needless to say, I won't be plugging in those carts again.

I want hazard pay.

No comments: