Sunday, August 17, 2008

There are some challenges to being newly retired, but one thing I really appreciate is not having The Sunday Night Blues. I'm sure professions other than education have these same "blues"--the dreaded feeling of needing to get organized for the coming week, having to get to bed early and get up ready for another week of work. But I'm guessing people in education may have the blues to a greater extent. I know when I left the classroom and became a teacher librarian, the Sunday Blues weren't nearly as noticeable. Now? Not really even a consideration.

I've said before how much I love the Olympics. I'm sure this second week won't be nearly as exciting and interesting as the past week, but i still love them. I have watched the men's swimming events with great interest and anticipation, and last night was so looking forward to seeing Michael Phelps' last event and last bid for the record breaking eight gold medal. I was talking on the phone with B about fifteen minutes before the event and he was online as we were talking. He said, "So I see Michael Phelps won his eighth gold medal tonight". WHAT?!?!?! I said (yelled, actually) into the phone, "NO!!! You did NOT just tell me that! How do you know that?? This event is live!" He said he just read it on the yahoo news page as a headline. I was so annoyed. Beyond annoyed.

Last week one of my good friends from high school was in town and we got to spend a couple of days with her. On Thurs night some of us (all high school friends, except for B) met for dinner and had the best time. Our band director also joined us, and does so whenever he's available. We are all still pretty close, and stay in touch with our band director, as well. I love this picture-- and these people.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this picture and all the people in it as well. We had a great time that night as always.

Anonymous said...

It's really neat how you guys all stay in such close touch. Mr. H looks pretty good! Looks like you all had a good time but omg that beard!

Anonymous said...

Mike's got the beard because he's going to go to Santa Claus school and be a Santa this year. He's going to make one tall Santa. We told him if he tells us where he's working we'll come and sit on his lap.

Laurie said...

I have given up on trying to have the Olympic outcomes surprise me. Results are everywhere, even though broadcasters TRY to give spoiler alerts. I love, love, LOVE the Olympics!