Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My friend B and I have known each other a little over eight years now. We can talk about pretty much anything, and often do. When we first met each other, we would talk and talk and talk for hours--on the phone, in the car, online, I mean forever. Every once in awhile now the conversation is awkward or strained--when one of us (usually me) has been hurt or annoyed with the other one, but those times are pretty few and far between. Recently, it's become increasingly obvious that there is a topic of conversation that I am avoiding at all costs.

That topic is the four people who are running for the leadership of our country.

Tonight it was glaringly obvious that I was not contributing to the conversation-- I would say things like "It's a good thing you have a choice" or something similar. At one point I said "I really am not interested in pursuing this conversation". I eventually changed the subject.

I think there are several reasons why I don't want to discuss this topic with him. One is that I'm not entirely confident about my ideas and thoughts. I've always been the type of person that is easily swayed by another person's ideas if they sound like they know what they are talking about. I feel like now I need facts and references to back up my opinions, and honestly, I don't particularly feel like being that on top of things. Another reason is because he has really strong opinions, and sometimes has an annoyed tone with me when he has a differing opinion. I almost always feel like I'm wrong and he's trying to make me change my mind and won't give up til I give in. I shared that with him tonight as well. Sometimes I feel like "what part of no don't you understand?" Oprah says when someone keeps belaboring a point after you've repeatedly said no, they are trying to control you.

He listens to talk radio and I can't stand talk radio. I get so annoyed at either the hosts or the people calling in because they can't articulate their thoughts--and I I know he's really interested in things going on in the news and what's going on with the election, and because we're such good friends wants to talk about it, but I mostly just feel stupid when we do.

And I really don't need to feel any more stupid than I usually do.

No comments: