Saturday, August 18, 2007

Here Kitty, Kitty

B just left with a stray (maybe lost) cat in my cat carrier. We had gone to a couple of movies and were heading into KS to pick up some ice cream. There was a cat wandering around the front of the store, and it kept trying to go inside. We followed it a little and it let B pick it up. Really cute cat, tame, but really dirty so probably outside for some time. B got in the car with the cat and let it roam, I stood outside and called an animal hospital I know is open 24 hours. They would scan it for a chip if we brought it in, but they don't take strays, and all the other shelters I know aren't open at this hour. There's no leash law for cats, so strays are just left to wander, I suppose. I know the lady on the phone felt bad for me--because I started to cry a bit when I realized there was no hope of dropping it anywhere.

We drove back here (only about 3 minutes from the store) and the cat was laying on the floor in the back, letting me pet it and purring. When we got to my place, B came inside and got the cat carrier and when we got the cat out of the car it kind of freaked and jumped out of B's arms and under a car. I got some cat food and it came right out, we put the food in the carrier and got it in, and it snarfed the food right up. B took it home, with the intention of taking it someplace tomorrow. He just called and asked me to look up this place where the owners have a huge garden in their backyard with all kinds of daylilies, and they let cats they take in wander back there. I found the phone number and he's going to try them first tomorrow.

I really wanted to take the cat in (as in keep it) but my kitty has completely changed into a lap cat since my other cat is gone (it's been a few years now). When I had two cats, the one I still have now just wasn't that sociable. She'd come down to eat, but would spend all her time upstairs on the bed or somewhere. I like that she's always out and around me now. I'm afraid if I took in another kitty she might go back to those keep-to-herself ways.

The thing that just annoys me SO much is that this cat had no collar and no tags. I don't think pet cats should ever be outside wandering to start with, but good grief, if you're going to let them free outside at least have a collar and identifying tags on your pets. I've been able to get many dogs back to their owners that way--but cat owners don't seem to think it's necessary to make sure their cats can get back home if they get lost.

This animal rescue stuff stresses me out.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor kitty. i hope it finds a home.

I was waiting for you to blog about our meeting. you seemed to be taking copious notes. blog notes, that is. :)

Anonymous said...

BTW, this not working on the weekend rocks! =) Let's see if I am able to maintain it when kids arrive.