Thursday, July 31, 2008

I'm glad tomorrow is Friday--even though Fridays don't feel that much different than other days now.

I ushered tonight--and people were kind of weird tonight. I don't think there's a full moon--in fact, I think it's a new moon. During intermission all kinds of people from the first row decided they'd sit on the stage so they could face their friends and chat. The stage is kind of a sacred space and no one not involved in the show should really be on it, or lay their programs on it, or their purses or whatever. It happens every once in a while, but not nearly to the level that it was tonight. I was the only usher really watching the stage from the top of the house (we're ALL supposed to be doing that) so I had to be the one to go ask them to please not sit on the stage. And several people had their programs and water bottles on the aisle steps when the lights started going down for the second act--and since some of the actors make an entrance and stand on the steps, we needed them to be clear. When I explained to one man why I was asking him to move his water bottle and program, he said "Okay, how about I just string a wire across the step, then?" What? What kind of an answer was that? One of my really big pet peeves is when patrons at this theatre make smart ass comments back to things we say to them--and it's almost always men who do this. It makes me want to say "Yeah, yeah, we all know you have a small penis. Now sit down and enjoy the show".

Need a good bar cookie recipe? Here you go:

Mud Hen Bars

1/2 cup shortening (use half butter)
1 cup sugar
1 whole egg
2 eggs, separated
1 -1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup brown sugar, packed

Cream the shortening and sugar. Beat in the whole egg and 2 egg yolks. Sift flour; baking powder and salt together; combine the two mixtures, blend thoroughly. Spread batter in lightly greased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle with nuts, chocolate chips chips and marshmallows over the batter. Beat 2 egg whites stiff, fold in brown sugar. Spread over top of cake. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees. Cut into bars.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Mud hen? Wonder why they're called that. And it's SO true that guys have to come back with something when they're given a directive. He's an idiot- still, I kind of chuckled when I read what he said...