Friday, January 09, 2009

I'm glad this week is about over.

I subbed in a school library two days this week, and both days were fraught with stress. On Tuesday I knew I had to get up at the ungodly time of 5:45, so went to bed way early and made sure the radio was set. I woke up and listened to the music a bit, sort of drifted in and out then realized it was really, really quiet. And really, really dark. I sat up and was completely disoriented for a minute-- then realized the power had gone out. We'd been having super strong winds for a couple of days and it was still blowing like crazy. It was only 6:05 so I had plenty of time, but it was dark. And cold. And dark. I felt my way downstairs and got a couple of jar candles, lit them and headed back upstairs to shower. Still lots of hot water in the water heater, but didn't wash my hair because no blow dryer and curling iron. I'd just gotten my hair cut the day before so no biggie--I fluffed it, it was fine. I really can't stand going a day without washing my hair, but I could live with it one day. JUST as I was dressed, and ready to head downstairs, on comes the power.

Wednesday night we went to a show downtown and I got home really late and didn't get to bed until about midnight. I was subbing again the next day on Thursday, and the power had gone out that morning so I reset the clock and the alarm, and went to bed. the next morning I wake up and it's very, very quiet. And very, very light. It was 7:30. I was supposed to be there at 7:20. I FLEW around the house, no shower, minimal makeup, grabbed clothes and got dressed and flew out the door. I made it by 7:43. Fortunately this is the school I used to teach at, so I know the secretaries and quite a few of the teachers so it wasn't as bad as going into a school where they didn't know me. But it was not a great way to start the day. And it was another day without washing my hair--it was not something I liked. it looked fine but felt yucky. As soon as I got home that afternoon I took a shower and washed my hair.

And today I helped my niece move into her first real apartment. More on that later--I'm pooped.

No comments: